Wednesday, August 30, 2006

And I'm spent...*

There has been a lot going on in the past week and a half. Baby Girl got her first ear infection last week, along with her first fever and first medicine. While we were at the doctor’s office, she left the room to go write the prescription and left the door open. From down the hall I could hear two of her nurses talking and one was telling the other, “That’s like the fifth baby we’ve seen today with an ear infection. I can’t believe how many little babies are coming in with that today.” I wasn’t surprised by the diagnosis because my son had tons of ear infections, so when I saw how she was acting, I knew that it was her ears. Hopefully she won’t have them as frequently as the boy did, but since she’s in daycare I suspect she will. Just another reason to make me long to stay home. Damn those mortgage payments and utility bills.

Remember the cute little pink sweater I showed off a couple of posts ago? Well, I ran into a little problem. As I was getting ready to sew the side buttons on, I took a good look at the neck opening and realized it looked a little small. I tried to put it on the baby anyway. Believe me, I TRIED and she wasn’t too happy about it. There was no way it was going to fit over her head so I resigned myself to the fact that it is just too small and frogged it. I learned an important lesson about gauge – it does matter in a knitted garment for a baby. Then I swatched with several different size needles and I have started it again using size 10 needles (where the pattern calls for size 6), and get this, I’m exactly on gauge. Gauge…who knew?

I just got a call from the boy’s pre-K teacher (who I adore, by the way) and she wanted to let me know about his day. He was standing on the furniture, very disrespectful to both the teacher and her assistant, and was apparently very liberal with his use of the word “no” today. So instead of going outside to play with the rest of the class, he had to stay inside with the teacher which he didn’t handle very well. He cried and told her he would “be good” and they had a lengthy discussion about appropriate behaviors and making good choices. Bless her, she was consistent with him and hopefully tomorrow he WILL make better choices. I apologized and told her that we were working on some of the same issues at home. She’s aware that there are lots of changes going on right now with the new baby and starting school and losing nap time (which I think is the single biggest contributing factor to his behavior) so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully he can get adjusted soon.

*Does anyone remember that line and which movie it’s from? I can see Mike Myers saying it, possibly in one of the Austin Powers movies.

6 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Wow, it sounds like the boy's got a really good teacher. If she stays consistent with him, this could be a big help.

My poor baby . . . . :<(((

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm waiting for the ear infections to arrive at our house. I had a billion of them (even one that had me in bed for a week at 26!!!) and Big Kid had'em, too. So I feel pretty confident that the twins will have them as well. Grr.

And gauge -- I hate it. It NEVER works right for me -- I measure my gauge, get others to measure my gauge, and things are still a little off. And it's just pronounced WRONG. Bad word! Bad!
(I'm a tight knitter who has to go up 4 needles sizes, as well.)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Procrastiknitter said...

HOpe everything has calmed down and baby girl is feeling better! ((HUGS))

9:56 PM  
Blogger The Thinking Man's Babe said...

Hey Missy,

Thinking of you and your little girl and little boy...and dreaming of ways you could work from home...back in the day when I had a couple of staff people, I allowed them to work from home on Mondays and Fridays to cut daycare costs...they still produced as much as ever and that's all that really matters...

Best...

1:54 AM  
Blogger ang said...

you wont believe this but I am watching that movie on dvd as we speak. Its austyn powers and they spy who shagged me.lol

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad he has a good teacher. And that you are a good parent. So many parents I saw (as a therapist for their kids) would blame teachers for their kids misbehavior yet criticize any teacher discipline in front of the child. No-win for many teachers.

Sorry about the sweater. That is a real bummer.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home