Friday, June 30, 2006

Good causes

My friend Kim is running in another marathon! I posted on her first marathon here. This time she is flying to San Francisco to participate in a marathon to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Kim teaches kindergarten and her friend and teaching partner was recently diagnosed with lymphoma so this is a cause that is very near and dear to her heart. Please go to Kim's page HERE to read more and, if you wish, to make a contribution.


The Yarn Harlot posted today on a subject that I also feel strongly about: breastfeeding. One of her readers is collecting knitted infant hats to give to new moms in lower income families to help promote breastfeeding. As all the medical evidence suggests, breastfeeding is certainly the most perfect food for a baby, and studies have shown that breast milk even helps babies fight off certain illnesses, as well as reduces the infant mortality rate. Lower income families cannot always afford adequate medical care and sadly, often don't have access to the support needed to breastfeed successfully. If you would like to raise awareness of this problem by donating some knitted hats, please either email the Yarn Harlot (email on the page I linked to above) or feel free to email me.

1 Comments:

Blogger barbp said...

My first time by your blog and as I was scrolling through a couple of your posts I noticed this one.

Struck a note as my friend Peri is training to run in a half marathon in California in October I think for the Leukemina and Lymphoma Society. Such a good cause.

Dude, you must be excited to have seen the Harlot!

You're baby is cute and stick with it with your son.

Happy knitting and stay cool. The breath of hell, indeed!!!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home