Thursday, January 19, 2006

Random thoughts

  1. I am seriously sick and tired of being sick. I now have what appears to be the remnants of a wicked head cold and I am not happy about it one bit. I started feeling a little run down and achy on Friday and I spent the majority of my weekend lying on the sofa. I have a lovely, hacking cough, but I am starting to feel a wee bit better. But this is it, you hear me? No more illness, please. I’m done. Three times in less than a month is enough.
  2. I had to rip out the sock I was making for my cousin because I was a fool to think that it would still fit even though I was making it so tightly. But I had PLENTY of time while convalescing this past weekend to start over and get damn near finished with one. I kitchenered the toe last night and then cast on for the other one. Woohoo!
  3. My son is apparently already having some issues with the baby. When I arrived to pick him up from daycare yesterday, his teacher told me she found him sobbing in a corner of the room and when she asked what was wrong he said, “Mommy’s home with the baby.” She misunderstood at first and thought I had already had the baby and when she said, “Your mom had the baby?” he replied, “Yes, mommy’s home with the baby.” Then she realized that it was way too early and she asked, “Wait, is the baby still in mommy’s tummy?” he said, “Yes. And mommy’s home with the baby.” She comforted him and he eventually calmed down and went back to playing, but this really alarmed me. I tried to talk to him about it last night and we spent lots of extra time last night snuggling and spending quality time together so that he will hopefully feel more secure about the whole baby situation. I suspect this is just the first of many issues we will deal with.
  4. I look like I’m 40 weeks pregnant instead of 25.
  5. I’m already having moments of incontinence, especially when I cough or sneeze. And I’m coughing a lot (see #1). At this point there’s no way I could do enough kegel exercises to help. For the first few weeks after I had my son, my body wouldn’t give me any advance warning of the urge to pee. It was like, “Hey, I need to – oh crap, I’m peeing.” I lost track of how many urine puddles/trails my husband cleaned up during that time. And he never complained once. That’s true love right there.
  6. My best friend Kim ran a half marathon! Yea Kim!!! Here's the email she sent out (printed with her permission, of course): "Hello friends and family,

    Many of you may have known that I had been training for the Houston Half Marathon since August. But, what you didn't know (and neither did I), is that I could and would actually accomplish that lofty goal! I know what you're thinking... there is no way Kim could run 13.1 miles!? And let me tell you - I wasn't so sure I could do it either. But bit-by-bit and mile-by-mile I kept inching toward that goal until I conquered it. In August, I joined a group of INSANE people that meet on Saturday mornings to train together and support one another. That was great, when they met at 7:00, but the meeting times kept getting earlier and earlier until finally I was getting up at 4:30 in the morning to meet them at 5:00. Running... at 5:00am... on Saturday mornings!!! Can you believe I stuck with that plan?! We ran in the blistering heat (remember...it's hot in Houston even at 5:00 and 6:00 am), the outrageous humidity, and the pouring rain. But, I witnessed some of the most beautiful sunrises, I met some wonderfully encouraging friends, and I discovered something deep inside of myself...strength and determination. I would have to say that completing the half marathon is one of my most treasured experiences. I also believe that my children learned a valuable lesson from the sideline. They watched me set a goal, they saw that it took a lot of hard work and they saw that it was SO WORTH IT!!!! Crossing that finish line (even though I felt like quitting at mile 7, and 9 and definitely at mile 12) sent me through a range of emotions. I just can't help but think how good it would feel to complete a full MARATHON! Maybe I'll write to you next January and let you know. "

Isn't she awesome?

2 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Look directly into my eyes--"you will not be sick any longer, you will not be sick any longer . . . ."

My poor baby boy--I can't believe he was so upset! I wonder if someone said something to him at school.

I'm impressed that you got a sock done so quickly--I'm turning into the world's slowest knitter!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you are feeling sooo crappy! And it breaks my heart that Braden was upset like that. I think you did the right thing and I think you're right...it's just the first dealing. But, once he meets that baby girl, I'm hoping he'll take "ownership" and love her and protect her!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home