Thursday, June 08, 2006

Still here

So many times lately I’ve wanted to sit down and update the blog, but I’ve only had one hand free, which is a colossal pain in the ass when it comes to typing. I can manage short emails fairly easy, but not typing a long post. And why do I only have one free hand? Because Kelsey thinks she needs to be held. All. Day. Long. And preferably with a boob in her mouth. So although I’m not getting much time to myself, I’m happy to report that she is getting nice and fat. I took her to the Lactation Department at the hospital for a weight check on Tuesday and she was already up to 8lbs 1oz. My girl is a chow hound. So hopefully since she’s gaining weight so well we’ll be able to get on a schedule SOON. And even though I’m extremely sad that this is my last week at home, there’s a part of me that is looking forward to going back to work on Monday because it will give me a much needed break. The husband tries to help out when he’s home (which isn’t often), but she doesn’t want him because he doesn’t have magical boobs.

I’m not quite ready for meds just yet and I’ll explain why. I’m not going all Tom Cruise here or anything because I’ve been down the medication road twice in my life and it was extremely beneficial. However, the weaning off the meds process was unbelievably difficult for me and I’m not sure I’m ready to go there again just yet. It’s almost as if I felt worse trying to slowly wean off the meds than I did before I started taking them in the first place. So I’d like to consider that my last resort when I just can’t stand the way I feel anymore. And even though I may have occasional bad days right now, I’m definitely not to that point. I think right now if I could just get some good quality sleep and a couple of hours to myself to do whatever I wanted, I’d be a new woman.

The boy started a new daycare and the transition went frighteningly well. On the first day he stood just inside the classroom door and kept telling me, “I don’t want to go play.” I said that was fine, he didn’t have to play. The teacher kept asking him if he liked dinosaurs, cars, puzzles, etc. and the answer was always no. Then she said, “You’re just in time for a snack and we’re going to eat outside. Do you like to play outside?” He said yes and then turned to me and said, “Thanks, mom.” The tone of his voice was one of “Thanks, mom, I can take it from here.” So I told the teacher, “I think that’s my cue to leave.” Never would I have imagined it would have gone that smoothly. He really seems to like it there and the teachers there aren’t telling me how horrible he is every day so this is probably just the change he needed.

What else has been happening? Oh yeah, I ordered a couple of nursing bras from BabyCenter.com and I noticed something funny. On each web page they had a box with shipping deadlines for Father’s Day. I’m sure it’s a standard box on every page, but it still cracked me up that it was on the nursing bra pages. Is that really a good idea for a Father’s Day gift? I suppose some nursing bras could be considered sexy, but in our house nothing says “My girls are off limits to you for at least a year” like a nursing bra.

And my free time is almost up so I’ll leave you with some pictures.

The photo we used for her birth announcement:


Braden in his Spider-Man flotation suit and goggles and water-squirting gloves from Auntie Katya:


My new favorite picture:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

congratulations on your baby!! She's adorable. I have four myself, and everytime, they started to grow I wanted another one. Untill I got therapy and stopped, lol, not true. I do have four and when they are so small, there's no time for anything, but it is soooo worth it. God Bless you all

9:30 PM  
Blogger KatyaR said...

I LOVE that last picture!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what sweet pictures!

And I hear you on the weaning off the meds thing, I had a really rough month the last time I went off (years and years ago, going cold turkey off *effexor and well*butrin). Glad to hear you're keeping tabs on it and I have no doubt you'll be prepared to deal with it if the PPD crops up.
Also-- there was an article on NPR.org about sleep deprived parents and it talked a bit about the best age to try & establish some sort of schedule. I think it was around 6 weeks, but you should go check it out.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Thanks - I will definitely check out that article!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are wonderful! That is pretty funny about the shipping of nursing bras for fathers day. I can't think of anything less a man would want!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home