Friday, March 24, 2006

Things...

There is a coworker of mine who is pregnant and due around the same time as I am, and she came up to me the other morning laughing and said, “My doctor said the strangest thing to me yesterday.” “What’s that?” I asked. She said, “He said I better gain 5 pounds in the next 2 weeks.” Since she’s barely showing (and she’s a tall, skinny heifer) I asked her how much she’s gained so far. Twelve pounds. I said, “Uh, yeah, you need to seriously start eating more so your baby will gain weight, especially since you’re at the end of your pregnancy.” I told her how my best friend got put on the Braum’s Shake Diet because she didn’t seem to be gaining enough weight. I can so not relate. Since I was already overweight before I got pregnant, I should be the one only gaining 12 pounds, but no, I’ve already gained 20. On the other hand, I am now obviously pregnant enough where complete strangers will ask me when my baby’s due without fear of me telling them I’m not pregnant. I no longer just look like a fat chick – now I look like a pregnant, fat chick. But I digress. The coworker also told me that her doctor said she is measuring small and he’s clearly concerned about how small her baby is. She also said that she doesn’t like to eat meat or sweets and all she likes are fruits and vegetables. I asked her if she likes ANYTHING fattening and she said chips, so I told her that she needs to be eating a bag of chips a day. Towards the end of our conversation, she laughed at the absurdity of her situation and I wanted to shake her. She clearly doesn’t understand and she’s not listening to anyone, so I stopped trying to convince her. I wish I could laugh things off that easily, but no – instead I’m obsessing about the fact that I was Group B strep positive early in the pregnancy and now I’ll have to have IV antibiotics before delivery and there’s still a slight chance the baby can get infected when she’s born. (Note to self: there’s a difference between researching to be informed and obsession. Stop reading scary information on the internet. Just stop. Now.)

I do have some progress to show you on the Batman socks, although it’s not much. My heart just hasn’t been into the knitting for some reason here lately. Too many other things on my mind I guess. But here’s what I’ve done so far:

3 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Back away from the internet--NOW!!! You're scaring Mozilla.

Okay, I can't remember--who's pregant? Obviously my mind is in worse shape than it was before.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I feel like judging her, but I will not.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STOP LOOKING UP SCAREY INFORMATION. It's very unlikely that your baby will be affected--there is a reason they are doing those antibiotics and I've known several other women in your situation and everything was fine.

Now as to this other person--isn't she drinking milk or SOMETHING? There are things the baby needs and so does she...

Oh to have the problem she has. But then again, I wouldn't have the healthy gorgeous children I have if I did.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home