Friday, February 10, 2006

Moments that I want to remember forever

Sweet Moments:
The other morning my son woke me up around 5:30 and said, “Mommy, I want to snuggle.” He does this nearly every morning, but sometimes it is MUCH earlier and sometimes he just silently crawls in bed with us. I made room for him in the middle of the bed and we went back to sleep snuggling. When I finally woke up at 6:30 and got in the shower, I noticed a perfect imprint of his little ear in the skin in the crook of my arm and the sweet feeling it invoked almost made me cry. If I could have preserved that little imprint, I would have. It was just one of those moments that I wanted to capture and keep forever. When he was a baby we co-slept because I nursed him in the middle of the night, but the co-sleeping continued long after he weaned around his first birthday. In fact, he was probably 3 years old before he finally started sleeping in his own bed. And after many months of struggling to get him to sleep in his own bed, you would think that his daily snuggle sessions or his creeping into bed with us would be frustrating or make us feel like failures as parents. But to tell the truth, I actually enjoy snuggling with him. I know the day is coming when he will be too big and won’t want to snuggle anymore, and that will break my heart. So I will hang on to our little morning snuggle moments for as long as I can (especially on weekend mornings when we sleep in late while snuggling). It may be a little challenging once the baby gets here, but we’ll manage. I just hope she likes to snuggle as much as the boy does.

Funny Moments:
Last week we were waiting in line at the drive thru of McDonald’s (I know – don’t judge me) and after I paid for our food, a little voice from the back seat yelled “COME ON, PEOPLE!” Apparently he was hungry. And I need to be really careful what I yell at people in traffic.

Knitting news:
I have finished knitting the Spiderman socks, but there is a problem. My plan was to knit the socks in plain red and blue and then duplicate stitch the spider web pattern. I tried and it looks like crap. Actually it was worse than crappy. So I ripped out the duplicate stitch that I started and tried embroidering. One would think this would be easy for me to do seeing as how I made this:

But no, the embroidery looked craptastic also. My option now is to reknit the socks and actually knit the spider web pattern in a sort of fair isle design. I’ve never done fair isle before and although it doesn’t look like it would be too difficult only using 2 colors on a small sock, I am intimidated. So I have decided to set these aside and start working on the Batman socks. Instead of fair isle, these will have a very small intarsia patch on the sides, which sounds much less intimidating. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

"Come on, people!"

You know, I say that same thing several times a day driving up and down May Avenue to work--
I'm blaming you!!!

Such a cute picture of the boy!!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home