Friday, August 12, 2005

Drunken rambling

Wow. What a week! I covered all week for my boss's vacationing assistant, which meant lots of opportunities to screw up royally. It all worked out though and, thankfully, the week is over. Lots has been going on around here. We have been painting our dining room and I have been shopping alone with a three year-old whose sole function in life is to make me want to get on Prozac. And really I can ignore his fake crying when we are shopping (he makes the noise, but no tears are actually falling, and he's looking around to see if anyone is noticing), but when he leans over the handle of the shopping cart and starts drooling on the floor, that's when I get a little crazy. He's acting like an idiot just to get a reaction from me, and I'm sorry but I don't think even Mother Theresa would have had enough patience to just let that crap go. So I did a lot of listening to the voices inside my head. You know, the ones that all mothers have that tell us, "No, don't hit your child in front of all these witnesses. It's wrong. Take him home and do it in private." I'm kidding - of course I didn't hit him. But I did make him go to bed early, which to him is probably the equivalent of a beating.

I have been knitting a lot lately, and in doing so have discovered the cure to the knitting blahs: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn. It's just yummy. I know I can never afford enough to make myself a sweater, so it's just perfect for a baby sweater. I am currently making the sweater on the cover of the new Debbie Bliss book, Special Knits. Will I finish in time for tomorrow's 2:00pm baby shower? Odds are against it, but you never know.

I went to my first ever knitting group meeting on Tuesday night. I hope nobody realized it, but I was nervous as hell. I don't meet new people very well, and I usually come across as aloof and snobby, but I promise you it's just because I'm incredibly shy. And it didn't help that everyone else there already knew each other and I was basically an outsider coming into an already established group. Still, they were extremely nice and welcoming, and I would honestly love to meet up with them again. KatyaR and I have been wondering for a while if I might be doing something wrong when I knit because my stitches just don't look "normal." It wasn't long Tuesday before someone asked me, "Is that stockinette stitch?" I said, "Yes, but I'm pretty sure I'm purling wrong or something because I definitely have this cross-stitch looking thing going on." One of the other ladies looked at it and said, "Oh yeah, you've got a twisted stitch. It's consistent though, so it looks really nice and it makes it interesting." So there you have it. I've been purling wrong for a year. Sigh...

And finally, I just want to say a huge thank you to the Keebler Elves for developing a peanut butter filled Fudge Shoppe cookie that equals my beloved Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patties. Don't you guys know I have no self control????? Damnit!

1 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

See, now neither one of us knits normally!!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home