Monday, June 27, 2005

Can't keep my mouth shut

I'm sorry - I know the subject has been talked about to death already, and I shouldn't give him any more publicity, but I just can't help it. Tom Cruise. What the hell is up with that egotistical jackass? I am outraged at the comments he made Friday during his interview with Matt Lauer on the Today Show. I personally feel that Brooke Shields was brave as hell to come forward and tell the story of her postpartum depression, and I'm glad she did, because many moms will read her story and empathize, or know they are not alone and seek treatment. And for Tom to insinuate that she could have simply taken care of her PPD with vitamins? Give me a break. Oh wait - and there's "no such thing as a chemical imbalance" and he's "done the research." Is he trying to say that the millions of healthcare and research professionals in the world are wrong? Let me tell you something, Tom. I've gone through mild PPD and I was ON vitamins at the time, and they sure as hell didn't help me. Only the anti-depressants I took for a while helped with the frightening feelings I had. And I know I'm not alone. Now they were VERY difficult to wean off and it was tempting to just stay on them, but they DID help me while I was taking them. And I don't even care that he's promoting Scientology - he's free to have his own beliefs just like everyone else, but I'm concerned that some hormonal, vulnerable new mom is actually going to listen to his bullshit medical advice and not seek help, and that could have disastrous results. I posted a comment on someone else's blog thatI believe Mr. Tom "Passionate About Life" Cruise needs to be held captive and injected with hormones that would simulate PPD and then we'll give his little vitamin theory a try... Oh, and there's also THIS, which is pretty funny. And now I'll put the soapbox away until he does/says something else stupid, which at the rate he's going, should be soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Rant on, sister!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home