Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Six weird things

Because Krista tagged me, here are Six Different Things About Me:

1) In the late 80’s, I was sort of a metalhead. My friend was dating a guy who played guitar in a heavy metal band and we went to all their gigs. This usually meant we dressed up in slutty, all black outfits with lots of chain-type accessories, tons of eye makeup and used about a can of hairspray on our ratted, big hair. We were pretty scary looking. I need to look and see if I still have any pictures from that era. I don't really dig that type of music anymore though.

2) I have a strong aversion to loud noises now. And you know those guys with the speakers in the back of their cars that are so loud that the bass from their rap music rattles your chest inside your car even though you are like 2 car-lengths ahead? My secret wish is that I had some type of telekinetic superpower that I could use to blow up their speakers. Ditto for the guys who pull up next to you at the gas station who force you to listen to their music, especially if there is liberal use of the F word while your children are with you in your car.

3) I was a band geek and played the flute and piccolo in Junior High and High School. In fact, I was first chair flute in grades 9-12. Half the year we did marching band and the other half was concert band. Some of my favorite memories of school were of performing during halftime at the football games, and the band trips that we took to Colorado and Florida.

4) I grew up wanting to be a veterinarian but I changed my mind during a Career Day in Junior High when one came to our class to talk about his career. He said that in order to get into veterinary school, you had to meet with a review panel and tell them why you wanted to become a veterinarian, and they didn’t want to hear “because I love animals and I want to help them.” The thought of having to come up with something completely original to tell the review panel paralyzed me with fear. That and the fact that I wasn’t very good in math or science made me decide that perhaps veterinary medicine wasn’t my calling.

5) I have a somewhat overactive imagination and have imagined many horrible ways to die, not in a suicidal way, but more in a “gee I hope that never happens to me” way. This stems from watching too many horror films as a youngster and more recently, too much CSI. I don’t watch horror films anymore, but I still love me some CSI.

6) If I am a guest at someone’s house and need to use the restroom, and they have a shower curtain hanging over the tub in said bathroom, I will look behind it to make sure nobody is lurking there waiting to jump out and scare/harm me. This has never actually happened to me so I don’t know where that particular irrational fear comes from. I actually have many other irrational fears too. Perhaps I need to explore them in therapy.

This was fun! I'm not going to tag anyone, but I would love to read others. Anyone???

3 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

SNORT--used to be a metalhead? Dude, you are still there--the music's different, that's all. (And I want to see those pictures, post haste.)

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The WAS fun! thanks for doing it. I hope you find the metal head pictures. Funny how we go through such extremes trying to find ourselves. I feel the same way about the music in others cars. I must say that the Germans are pretty respectful in that reguard!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Ok, technically nowadays it's called Alternative Rock...and yes, I still like that stuff. But the Metallica & Panterra stuff from the 80's, THAT's what I can't listen to anymore. Makes my head hurt.

And I'll see if I can find some pictures this weekend. ;-)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home