Friday, February 27, 2009

My belated thoughts on political things

After the presidential election back in November, I wrote a post about the election results and never published it. Then I sort of forgot about it as I tend to do a lot of things. Good ideas, no follow through - that's me. Anyway, while I am thrilled to pieces over the national election and our new President, I am still disappointed in my state because of the people who were elected locally. For example:


1) Sally Kern, who thinks that gays are an even bigger threat to this nation than terrorism, was RE-ELECTED. Seriously.


2) Jim Roth, a well-respected political figure who was appointed to the position of Corporation Commission and Oklahoma's first openly gay person to hold a state-wide elected office, was defeated by Dana Murphy in his bid for re-election. The television ads Murphy ran were largely anti-homosexual in nature.


3) Jim Inhofe, who stated that global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people, was RE-ELECTED. Inhofe ran against Andrew Rice, his television campaign ads telling us that Rice was "too liberal for Oklahoma." Apparently he was right.


4) All 77 counties in the state of Oklahoma were won by McCain in the election. Every. Single. County. In addition, McCain got 65.6 percent of the vote in Oklahoma, the highest state percentage for him in the entire country. I'm not kidding.


So what does all of this mean? I am 99.9% positive that I am the only person in my entire family that feels like the statements above are horrific statements about Oklahoma. And apparently most of the people of this great state are in agreement with my family. Honestly, I don't know how in the world I turned out the way I did. But that's ok, because that's one of the great things about this country. We are all entitled to our different opinions and beliefs.

I believe in this country and I believe in the current President, even though I am related to and surrounded by people who don't want to give him a chance. One thing that no one can refute is that the man has a gift for public speaking. Did anyone catch the state of the union this week? It was beautiful.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are thousands upon thousands who are excellent speakers, including Obama. But, does that make them qualified to run our country and make monumental decisions that effect us all??? HELL no!!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Missy! I know exactly how you feel. Also, I have to figure out that at least this is something different that what we've had and anything is better than what we already have right? Also what you mentioned about here in Oklahoma is what I like to refer to the "redneck" factor. Hey, I'm married to one, but change is bad, we might start thinking for ourselves LOLOL.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Anonymous,
Ah, but there is so much more that I love about Obama besides his speaking ability. I wouldn't have voted for him otherwise.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Missy you and I are on the same page as far as Oklahoma is concerned. I was totally upset about Inofe. Did you see his interview after he won. It was so bad. He openly stated how he felt about Obama. My family is like yours also. Republican. My family couldn't understand how come I wasn't voting for McCain and Palin because I have a child with Down syndrome. We decided not to talk politics when we were together. Great post, but this is just my opinion.

Arlynda

12:47 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

It took me a while to check your blog. I try to stay out of the political discussions. My husband and all of Germany is thrilled with Obama and I was not a supporter of McCain or Bush, but just want to wait and see what Obama is about before I make a judgement. There is a lot of talk and little doing with politics.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hey, I am another of those outvoted Okies. Usually my vote is a kiss of defeat. When I moved here back in the 50s, Oklahoma was a Democratic state much to my Republican mama's dismay. I've recently read that the big switch to the Republican side in the south was a result of Lyndon Johnson's civil rights bill. Which makes me even sadder.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home